Handsworth Parramore vs Shildon AFC

FA Vase
October 31, 2015
Score: 5 - 4

Match Report

Shildon are out of the F.A. Vase

Shildon’s dreams of winning the F.A. Vase is on hold for another year after they were beaten 5 – 4 in the 1st Round Proper on Saturday 31st October 2015 away to Sheffield side Handsworth Parramore who play at Worksop.

In a thrilling game of end to end football it was evenly balanced throughout, and could have gone either way.

It seemed like a home tie for the Railwaymen as Shildon supporters far outnumbered the home fans.

Handsworth took an early lead after just 5 minutes with their first attack when a cross found Kieron Wells unmarked, as he beat keeper Kyle Hayes.

For Shildon Paul Connor ran through but keeper Andrew Sneath saved well. One minute later Mark Doninger was also through and he scored, when perhaps the keeper could have done better.

On 43 minutes Shildon went 2 – 1 up when Paul Connor’s cross was headed in by Mark Doninger. The lead was short lived however as just one minute later it was all square again when No 3 James Cullingworth’s long range low shot went just inside the post for 2 – 2 at the break.

Half Time:  Handsworth Parramore  2  Shildon AFC  2

The home side were ahead again on 56 minutes when star man Kieron Wells scored his second goal.

Shildon made it 3 – 3 when Gary Brown headed in from  Anthony Bell’s free kick.

Thereafter either side could have won the tie in normal time, with Shildon’s Gary Brown clearing off the line from Alex Rippon on 88 minutes  and Shildon’s Mark Doninger heading over from close range on the 90th minute. The score remained level and extra time followed.

Full Time:  Handsworth Parramore  3  Shildon AFC  3

On 94minutes the home side forged ahead again when Shildon keeper Kyle Hayes hesitated and Kieron Wells bundled the ball over for his hat trick.

Shildon were down to ten men with 17 minutes remaining when Marc Ellison was red carded for man handling a Handsworth player.

With 10 minutes remaining a shot was parried out by Shildon Keeper Kyle Hayes for John Froggatt to fire into an empty net.

In the last minute Shildon were rewarded a penalty which Mark Doninger  converted for his hat trick but it was too late for any further play.

Final Score:  Handsworth Parramore  5  Shildon AFC  4

Goalscorers:  Doninger  29, 43, 120. Brown 69.

Subs:  Bell for Woods 68, Rae for Connor 77, Wing for Moore 99.

Bookings:  (R)  Ellison  103

Man-of-the-Match:  Lewis Dodds

After the match manager Gary Forrest said “I though we played well but we will not win games if we give away poor goals like we did today”.






Billy Greulich-Smith
Daniel Moore
vs GoalGoalGoal
vs Red Card
vs Goal


vs Sub
vs Sub
vs Sub